The Avenue Hospital offers a high standard of quality care and is committed to bettering the hospital experience for patients and their visitors. Whilst our dedicated staff have a reputation for excellence in care, volunteers make an enormous difference to the lives of patients and their visitors. Their generous use of time allows the hospital to offer patients and visitors extra services.
Volunteer positions at The Avenue Hospital include (but are not limited to):
Potential volunteers will be interviewed and successful applicants will be matched to a voluntary position that suits their interests, skills and abilities. Volunteering gives people another meaningful role in an alternative community. Volunteers usually gain a great deal of satisfaction from knowing they make a difference.
Our volunteers come from many backgrounds and walks of life, from students to retirees and we recognise and value every volunteer’s unique ability.
Enquiries about volunteering at The Avenue Hospital will be warmly welcomed.
For more information contact:
Kerry Bradley | Quality & Risk Manager / Volunteer Manager
Executive | The Avenue Hospital
40 The Avenue, Windsor, VIC 3181
Phone: 03 9526 3856
Position Title: Front of House Volunteer
Purpose of the Role: To provide an escort and direction service for patients and visitors to The Avenue Hospital.
- Meet and greet visitors
- Farewell and say thank you to those leaving the hospital and give directions to the main reception desk (if necessary for in-patient payments)
- Escort visitors who require it to their destinations
- Provide companionship to those waiting in the lobby area
- Direct queries, when appropriate, to the main reception desk
- Approach people who appear to be unsure of where they are going and assist them
- Assist those needing to book a taxi, inviting them to take a seat in the lobby and checking on taxi when it arrives (need to distinguish veterans who get taxi provided by Veterans affairs).
- Assist staff at main reception as required e.g. if a visitor presents at their desk seeking direction
- Assist with discharge from the hospital as required
- Be conversant with bus and train timetables to/from hospital.
Position Title: General Patient Support Volunteer
Purpose of the Role: To provide companionship and support for patients and their visitors
- Providing companionship and support for patients and their relatives and friends.
- Patient Check: Making sure that all items that the patient requires are within reach of the patient
- Freshening flowers throughout each ward
- Assisting and accompanying independent patients on walks (if given consent by staff)
- Taking wheelchair patients out of their rooms for a walk (If given consent by staff and if staff assist patient into wheelchair)
- Offering fluids to bed ridden patients (unless directed not to do so by staff).
- Assisting with patient menus or other forms patients may need assistance in filling out as directed by appropriate staff i.e. food monitor.
- Making tea and coffee for relatives or patients outside of morning/afternoon tea times.
- Setting patients up for meals
- Delivering phone messages to patients
- Keeping area tidy
- Reading to patients